2017 Statement of Intent Walter Anderson
DMS Wiki is being migrated to source.dallasmakerspace.org
Please go see the content on Source.
This letter is to serve as formal notification that I, Walter Anderson, am officially submitting my name to run for election to the Board of Directors for Dallas Makerspace for the year 2017.
My goals for 2017 are:
- Get the bylaws rewritten and approved by the membership to address the current problems with the document. As just one example the current document states that only voting members are allowed to 'influence' the corporation. If this by law were actually followed then only voting members would be allowed to speak at member meetings and board meetings. Clearly this should not be the case, but simply ignoring the by laws forces the board to either violate their duties or enforce a by law that would cause damage to DMS. There are many other issues with the document that should be hashed out with the members to obtain mutually agreeable solutions to these problems and place the space on a firm future.
- Increase savings and ensure that the Makerspace is ready for an inevitable move to a new location and the massive costs that will mean for the corporation.
- Currently the credit cards that are used by all purchasing officers are guaranteed by the personal assets of one board member. This is both an unnecessary burden upon him as well as an unreasonable risk for DMS. I will work to find a solution to this situation so that a $600,000 per year corporation is independent of the financial support and risk without relying on a single member for such a critical aspect of our existence.
As some of you are aware, I was planning on leaving Texas and relocating to Florida sometime during the summer. I have canceled those plans. I have informed my colleagues that I will be officially fully retired, effective Friday March 24, 2017. This will mean that I can devote a significant portion of my time to helping to manage the Dallas Makerspace.
As part of this Letter of Intent, I also agree to the duties and functions expected of me in this position that include, but are not limited to:
- Making every effort to attend the annual meeting(s) and regular meetings.
- Perform the duties and responsibilities of Director as outlined in the Dallas Makerspace Bylaws as well as the Dallas Makerspace Rules and Policies.
- If elected, I am fully aware and understand the importance of my full participation as a productive and effective leader during my tenure on Dallas Makerspace Board of Directors, and I agree to the terms and conditions set forth above.
/S/ Walter Anderson
Nominated by: Art Givens, David Kessinger, Zach Metzinger, Katie Luper, Britton Burt