2022 Statement of Intent - Justin Walker
Hello, my name is Justin Walker, Skyspook on talk, and I am running for reelection for the board of directors. Over the past 2 years it has been my pleasure to serve the space.
Professionally I am in IT and Software Engineering Management. I have 20 years experience in software development, and 12 years managing teams and projects of various sizes up through the executive level. I consider myself an unabashed generalist, meaning my life and projects cross many disciplines -- I am not above picking up a mop and cleaning with everyone else.
I have been involved in Makerspaces for a decade, having founded The Makers' Alliance in Cleveland, OH. I have a passion for what DMS stands for.
Over the last year, I have attempted the following:
- Continued recruiting tour guides and recruiting new members to replace churn
- Working with others to continue our expansion efforts
- Expanding our online teaching ability, and working with committees to take advantage of such (thank you 3d-fab, laser, ceramics, jewelry, machine shop and woodshop for your continued partnership)
- Working directly with committees and teachers to increase classes
- Teaching and giving tours 1:1 when available
I would be honored to continue in this position, and would continue to serve our membership proudly. My priorities for 2021:
- Active Recruitment - Our membership numbers have remained steady, but we need an infusion of members to continue our mission
- Continue to work through our expansion needs -- having secured funding this year, we have the means to continue our expansion efforts
- Increase Dallas Makerspace's position in the community through continued outreach
- Continue to improve our business operations
- Continue to invest in and improve our infrastructure - both physical and digital.
I welcome any questions, both in public and in private.
Endorsements: Julie Harris, Curt Baker, James Henningson, Kevin Thompson